• PCC Facebook
  • PRAYER ROOM
  • PCC Worship Music

©2019 BY PORT COMMUNITY CHURCH

118 Main Street, Port Republic, NJ 08241  | office@portcommunitychurch.com

Church Phone: 609-568-5954 |  Emergency: 609-412-7352

Our History

Even a 150-year-old building can be a warm haven of peace, rest, refuge, and hope for all. The soaring

white steeple of this edifice can be seen as one crosses the Nacote Creek Bridge. That steeple draws you to

look more closely at this special place that many over the years have found to be place to pray, cry, rejoice, and

find peace in God’s Spirit as they connect with God, our Creator, through His Son, Jesus Christ.

 

How did this picturesque church come to be? In 1796, the first Methodist revival took place in this community.

A society was formed and attached to the Gloucester Circuit of churches. Regular preaching services were

held once a month in area homes. The first building, built in 1800, was called Smith’s Meeting House. In 1806,

the society had 18 members, and by 1810, there were 33 members. In 1820, the first Sunday School was

organized in an old barn. In 1828, this congregation joined the newly formed Bargaintown Conference.

 

When Micajah Smith died in 1806, he wanted to provide for the congregation. In his will, he left one acre of land on Nacote Creek for a burial ground and the building of a Methodist Meeting House. Micajah Smith and his two wives rest in this burial ground above the beach, but the meeting house has long since disappeared. The original building was very plain, without plaster or paint. The interior was sealed with plain boards while the seating was rough board benches without backs. Lit with tin candles, services were held there in the summer season only. In the winter months, services were held in the home of Nehemiah Blackman. In 1838 a new church was built which served the community until 1870. During the two year pastorate of Rev. W.F. Randolph, the beautiful present building was built. The cornerstone of the 1838 church building may be viewed in the vestibule. 

 

Today, church is now home of the non-denominational, independent Port Community Church.