History of PCC
Even a 150-year-old building can be a warm haven of peace, rest, refuge, and hope for all. The soaring white steeple of this edifice can be seen as one crosses the Nacote Creek Bridge. That steeple draws you to look more closely at this special place that many over the years have found to be a place to pray, cry, rejoice, and find peace in God’s Spirit as they connect with God, our Creator, through His Son, Jesus Christ.
How did this picturesque church come to be?
In 1796, the first Methodist revival took place in this community. A society was formed and attached to the Gloucester Circuit of churches. Regular preaching services were held once a month in area homes. The first building, built in 1800, was called Smith’s Meeting House. In 1806, the society had 18 members, and by 1810, there were 33 members. In 1820, the first Sunday School was organized in an old barn. In 1828, this congregation joined the newly formed Bargaintown Conference. When Micajah Smith died in 1806, he wanted to provide for the congregation. In his will, he left one acre of land on Nacote Creek for a burial ground and the building of a Methodist Meeting House. Micajah Smith and his two wives rest in this burial ground above the beach, but the meeting house has long since disappeared.
The original building was very plain, without plaster or paint. The interior was sealed with plain boards while the seating was rough board benches without backs. Lit with tin candles, services were held there in the summer season only. In the winter months, services were held in the home of Nehemiah Blackman. In 1838 a new church was built which served the community until 1870. During the two-year pastorate of Rev. W.F. Randolph, the beautiful present building was built. The cornerstone of the 1838 church building may be viewed in the vestibule.
After much prayer, a movement of the Holy Spirit, we determined to stand in unity and in 2019, the congregation became Port Community Church.
We are a non-denominational and independent church.
We are committed to keeping the doors open for all those seeking Hope, Joy, Peace,
and the Love of Jesus Christ.